Here is a simple definition from Luna Metrics: Google Tag Manager (GTM) is a tag management system that has streamlined the process of creating tags to send user interaction data to Google Analytics (GA). It is worth to mention that GTM is a free tool and it helps marketers to be more independent from IT, you can manage the code on your own, set up events tracking.
GTM consist of 3 parts:
- Tag: You have to add a code to your pages
- Triggers: Shows when and where tags are executed
- Variables: Additional information GTM may need for the tag and trigger to work
What are tags? here are a few examples:
- Facebook pixel
- Adwords conversions tracking code
- GA universal tracking code
These tags tell Gogle Tag Manager what to do.
What are benefits of GTA?
- Helps to save your time, because you do not need to cooperate with developers.
- You can have all third-part code in one place
- Protects from bugs. With Tag Assistant tool you can check if the code is working well.